Vacant Land, Poughkeepsie, NY

This formerly-developed property is located along Albany Post Road/South Road/Route 9 where it intersects with Old post Road, just north of the Poughkeepsie Galleria mall.  Remnants of its previous usage are present, including road beds and some paved areas, but little remains of any structures.  Historic aerial photos show houses were located along the road from the 1950s to the 1980s.

More information:  Historic aerial photos

Location:  Google Maps (41.629624, -73.917273)

New Hamburg Train Tunnel, Poughkeepsie, NY

This is an abandoned train tunnel just north of the New Hamburg, NY (a hamlet of Poughkeepsie) railroad station.  I also included a photo of the tunnel with the original train station.  Here is some history, taken from steamphotos.com:

“The Hudson River Railroad was chartered in 1846 to construct a route between New York City and Albany along the east bank of the Hudson River. The line was completed to Poughkeepsie in 1849 and to Albany by 1851. Just north of New Hamburg station, the railroad blasted a curved 836-foot unlined tunnel built to accommodate two tracks with a width of 24 feet and height of 18 feet at center.

“Tunnel construction began in September 1848 with the use of two vertical shafts 245 feet apart, one 45 feet deep and the other 35 feet deep from surface to tunnel ceiling. The tunnel was blasted in both directions from each shaft, as well as from the north and south ends, a total of six faces which were worked simultaneously. Construction took 16 months and completed on December 27, 1849. Use of the shafts significantly increased expenses as it required that all rock and water be hoisted to the surface and that fresh air be pumped in during blasting. However, upon completion, civil engineer Thomas Meyer estimated that use of the shafts saved more than a year of construction time as it allowed tunnel excavation to progress simultaneous to the blasting of cuts through an additional 700 feet of solid rock at the tunnel’s portals.

“The New York Central (NYC) obtained control of the Hudson River Railroad in 1864. Increased traffic on the NYC’s Hudson Division required an expansion to four tracks and realignment in New Hamburg. In 1930, the double-track tunnel was replaced with a parallel open cut which continues to serve Metro-North and Amtrak. Today, the tunnel remains in good condition and is used by Metro-North maintenance crews to access the current right-of-way north of New Hamburg. The southernmost shaft is protected at the surface with a metal grate, allowing light to enter and water to cascade from the tunnel ceiling. The northern shaft has been covered at the surface.”

More Information:  SteamPhotos

Location:  Google Maps (41.588977, -73.947286)

Former IBM Buildings, Poughkeepsie, NY

These two very long buildings were located on South Road/Route 9 and Neptune Road in Poughkeepsie.  I was told these were formerly IBM buildings.  Based on aerial photos, they were built some time between 1955 and 1970.  The buildings were demolished in 2012 and the site was redeveloped to include several restaurants.

Location:  Google Maps (41.644255, -73.923512)

More information:  Historic Aerial Photos (see 2009 versus 2016)

Off Track Betting, Poughkeepsie, NY

This building is located at 611 Dutchess Turnpike (Route 44), Poughkeepsie, NY.  This Off Track Betting site was vacant for quite some time.  In 2015 the building was being renovated to become the home of Darkside Records; those photos are from June and October.  The murals that decorated the outside of the building were covered up during the renovation.

Location:  Google Maps (41.696520, -73.892017)

Torpedo Boat, Poughkeepsie, NY

The USS Blakely and USS Shubrick were Blakely class torpedo boats constructed in 1899. They served in various capacities until 1920 when they were both sold for scrap to U.S. Rail and Salvage Co. in Newburgh, N.Y. The cut off bow of one of these vessels was then used as land fill in Poughkeepsie south of the Mid-Hudson Bridge.  These are photos of the boat.

More information: USS Shubrick, USS Blakely

Location:  Bing Maps (41.690041, -73.938759)

Vanderburgh Burial Ground, Poughkeepsie, NY

This family cemetery is located on Cedar Avenue in Poughkeepsie a little south of the intersection with Hooker Avenue.  It is in front of the Fox Hill Condo complex, between Panorama Blvd and Arnold Blvd on the west side of the road.  There is an entry on the RootsWeb website that digitizes an entry in “Old Gravestones of Dutchess County, New York” by J. W. Poucher published in 1924, page 238.  Below is the information from the website/publication:

CLASSIFICATION: Family ground.
LOCATION: Southeast of the city of Poughkeepsie, in an orchard near the east fence of the property of the Hudson River Driving Park Association.
CONDITION: Stones fallen and broken.
INSCRIPTIONS: 9 in number. Copied April 25, 1911, by J. W. Poucher, M. D., and Miss Helen W. Reynolds.
REMARKS: Van Der Burgh ground. Before 1800 the Van Der Burghs were large land owners in this neighborhood and on old maps the present Southeast Avenue, Poughkeepsie, was “the road to John Van Der Burgh’s”. John Van Der Burgh’s house is still standing opposite the northeast corner of the Driving Park but made over and modernized. In its first estate it was an attractive eighteenth century farm house with an excellent carved doorway and fanlight. Originally there were a good many stones in the family burial ground which, by vandalism, have been broken and scattered.

1. Burton, Abigail, w. of Stephen, d. 1850, Oct, —-, a. 82 y. 2 m.
2. Burton, Stephen, d. 1842. (Broken stone).
3. Vanderburgh, Abraham, d. 1840, Nov. 23, a. 60 y. 9 d.
4. Vanderburgh, Elizabeth Meserole, w. of Peter, d. 1842, Apr. 24, a. 93-6-7.
5. Vanderburgh, Henry, d. 1821, Nov. 9, in 82d y.
6. Vanderburgh, Maria, w. of Henry P., d. 1823, May 29, a. 28 y. 8 m.
7. Vanderburgh, Peter, d. ——–. (Broken)
8. ————, d. Dec. 15, ——-, a. 81-8-24.
(Broken stone, possibly part of Peter Vanderburgh’s).
9. ————, “March —, a. 75 y. 1 m.” (broken stone).

More information:  RootsWeb entry

Location:  Google Maps (41.681472, -73.903283)

Vassar Farms, Poughkeepsie, NY

Photos of some of the agricultural buildings on the property known as Vassar Farms, owned by Vassar College, in Poughkeepsie, NY.  Since these photos were taken, they renovated a portion of the main barn (dairy wing).  According to the website for the Environmental Cooperative, Vassar College purchased the property in the early 1900s and moved its farming operation, which supplied much of the food for the college, from the main campus to this nearby property.  This move of operations “necessitated the construction of a poultry farm, stables, greenhouses, storage barns, and a model dairy barn. By the 1950s, the farming operation was no longer economically viable; all of the cows were sold, and the Vassar Farm stopped producing its own vegetables and milk products.”

More Information:  The Environmental Cooperative at the Vassar Barns

Location:  Google Maps (41.678131, -73.897138)

Sunnyridge, Route 55, Poughkeepsie, NY

There are several storefronts constructed to the front of this older residential structure on Route 55 in Poughkeepsie.  Based on a Facebook post in a Pougkeepsie-related group, this strip included Becks Farm Market, Karl Ehmer’s Meats, and Harold’s Drive-In in the late 1960s/1970s.  The historic photos are courtesy of Tom Beck (digitized from 8mm home movies) who posted these to Facebook and dated them from about 1965.

Location: Google Maps (41.688145, -73.881044)

Former Trolley Building, Poughkeepsie, NY

The building at 489 Main Street, Poughkeepsie, NY was the home of the City Horse Railway from 1874 to 1894, when it was rebuilt for the electric trolley system. The trolley system closed in 1935, and was replaced by buses. Diesling’s occupied the building from 1956 to 1994. Plans are underway to create an art center in the building.

Location: Google Maps (41.701565, -73.919235)