Photos of some of the agricultural buildings on the property known as Vassar Farms, owned by Vassar College, in Poughkeepsie, NY. Since these photos were taken, they renovated a portion of the main barn (dairy wing). According to the website for the Environmental Cooperative, Vassar College purchased the property in the early 1900s and moved its farming operation, which supplied much of the food for the college, from the main campus to this nearby property. This move of operations “necessitated the construction of a poultry farm, stables, greenhouses, storage barns, and a model dairy barn. By the 1950s, the farming operation was no longer economically viable; all of the cows were sold, and the Vassar Farm stopped producing its own vegetables and milk products.”
More Information: The Environmental Cooperative at the Vassar Barns
Location: Google Maps (41.678131, -73.897138)
According to the Hudson Valley Ruins website, this former mansion in Rhinebeck, NY, the mansion was “built in 1853 for Elizabeth Schermerhorn Jones, a relative by marriage to the wealthy Astor Family… A later owner was Andrew Finck, New York City beer baron and a cooper by trade, and associate of brewer Jacob Rupert, of nearby Linwood. Wyndclyffe, then known as Linden Hall or Finck Castle, supposedly had an underground tap line from the mansion to the tennis courts. The house was a private residence until 1936, and was finally abandoned for good sometime after 1950. Wyndclyffe remained remarkably [sic] intact through the 1980s, but decay worsened as abandonment neared the end of a half-century.”
These photographs are from 2015.
More Information: Hudson Valley Ruins (including photos over time from 1999 to 2010)
Location: Google Maps (41.8869454, -73.9360088)
These are photos of the Williams Lumber properties at 58 and 47 Cottage Street, Hamlet of Salt Point, Town of Pleasant Valley, NY.
Based on review of several sources, including documents obtained and summarized by Dieter Friedrichsen, a former Pleasant Valley Town employee, the 58 Cottage Street property has been an integral part of the history of the Salt Point area. In the 1700s and 1800s, the area contained a mill due to the location of a waterfall on the Wappingers Creek. The mill was located in the current basement of Building 1. Grains were brought to the mill to be ground. A wagon shop at one point also existed on the property. At this time the property was an island surrounded by a split in the Wappingers Creek.
In 1871, a railroad was created along the eastern side of the property at 58 Cottage Street and was used for transportation of materials. Also photographed are abutments from the railroad bridge that used to cross the Wappingers Creek north of 58 Cottage Street. Around 1910, the property was a coal yard and may have also sold lumber and feed. Several sheds were located on the property at various times. The use of this property as a coal and lumber yard and a feed store continued. In at least the 1960s, the property sold fuel oil. The site became Williams Lumber during the mid 1970s. As of 2010, the site was Williams Lumber & Home Centers.
The history of the property at 47 Cottage Street is unknown. According to topographic maps, the property seems undeveloped until the 1960s. Two barns (buildings #7 & #8) in poor condition occupied the property.
Locations: 58 Cottage Street (41.806323, -73.793879), 47 Cottage Street (41.805580, -73.794085)
I came across this building one day and could not resist photographing it. According to this website, it was built in 1909 and is an example of a Second Renaissance Revival style municipal building. The same website has a lot of information about the public bath movement in America.
More information: Website
Location: Google Maps (40.935369, -73.889152)
There are several storefronts constructed to the front of this older residential structure on Route 55 in Poughkeepsie. Based on a Facebook post in a Pougkeepsie-related group, this strip included Becks Farm Market, Karl Ehmer’s Meats, and Harold’s Drive-In in the late 1960s/1970s. The historic photos are courtesy of Tom Beck (digitized from 8mm home movies) who posted these to Facebook and dated them from about 1965.
Location: Google Maps (41.688145, -73.881044)
This old, wooden bridge carried the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad over the Monhagen Brook.
Location: Google Maps (41.422028, -74.406028)
The building at 489 Main Street, Poughkeepsie, NY was the home of the City Horse Railway from 1874 to 1894, when it was rebuilt for the electric trolley system. The trolley system closed in 1935, and was replaced by buses. Diesling’s occupied the building from 1956 to 1994. Plans are underway to create an art center in the building.
Location: Google Maps (41.701565, -73.919235)
The Rochester Industrial & Rapid Transit Railway, also known as the Rochester Subway, was constructed 1922-24 out of the old Erie Canal right-of-way in downtown Rochester. The subway opened in 1927 and stayed open until 1956. Portions of the tunnels have been filled in, but these photos are from along South Avenue, just south of Court Street.
More information: http://www.rochestersubway.com/rochester_subway_history.php
Location: Google Maps (43.153165, -77.607818)
This lighthouse is the oldest surviving lighthouse on Lake Ontario.
More information: Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse Historical Society
Location: Google Maps (43.252770, -77.610640)
This farm property is located on Route 32 in Saugerties, NY.
At the time of these photos (2011), four structures occupied the property: A garage, a barn, a block garage, and a shed. The garage was being used for storage of household items. The block garage was being used for storage of tools and equipment typical of a household workshop. The barn was mostly empty and deteriorated. The shed was also mostly empty. A house was also associated with the farm property.
A stand of evergreen trees was located in the southeast corner of the property that may have been operated as an area for growing Christmas trees at one time.
According to a Phase I Cultural Research Investigation dated September 2003 and locals, the property was part of an old farm homestead. Several lots were subdivided from the main property over time. The house that is the main structure of the homestead (located on the lot adjacent to this property), was built between 1875 and 1891. Prior to that time, the subject property was vacant.
Location: Google Maps (42.034752, -73.954876)