The Catskill Mountain House was a hotel located in the Catskill Mountains of New York from 1824 to 1963. A downfall of the hotel was that it was located a distance from any easy transportation port. Competition with other hotels forced it to finally close in 1941. After being left vacant for decades, New York State purchased the property and burned down the remains in 1963.
The building is long gone, but the site still contains the spectacular views and also engraved names and dates that date back to the 1800s.
More information: Catskill Archive website