Sleightsburgh Spit Barge Graveyard, Port Ewen, NY

Sleightsburgh Spit is located in Port Ewen, NY.  It “has been built up over the years on the remains of a 19th century barge graveyard. Wooden canal boats and barges built for the Delaware & Hudson Canal and Hudson River shipping were abandoned near the mouth of Rondout Creek when they had outlived their usefulness.”  The features of the site are best seen at low tide.

More information: Website

Location:  Google Maps (41.920586, -73.972866)

Catskill Mountain House, Catskills, NY

The Catskill Mountain House was a hotel located in the Catskill Mountains of New York from 1824 to 1963. A downfall of the hotel was that it was located a distance from any easy transportation port. Competition with other hotels forced it to finally close in 1941. After being left vacant for decades, New York State purchased the property and burned down the remains in 1963.

The building is long gone, but the site still contains the spectacular views and also engraved names and dates that date back to the 1800s.

More information: Catskill Archive website

Former Mule Barn & Church, Kingston, NY

Information about this site can be found at this website.  Some information quoted from that website:

In Ponckhockie stands a ruin at the dead end of little-traveled Yeomans Street. Its high concrete facade looks vaguely like a church, but in fact it was built about 1870 as a mule barn for the Newark Lime & Cement Manufacturing Company, Kingston’s “largest manufacturing establishment” in 1880. The barn itself demonstrated through its concrete walls the structural and decorative possibilities of the company’s product.  The manufactory closed in 1905.  Some 20 years after the closing, Emanuel Baptist Church prepared the ground level of the building as temporary quarters for the church. At the same time ambitious plans were announced to turn the structure into “an up to date religious and social center”.  Looking at the property now, there is no indication of how the interior was revamped for the church’s use. The only clear sign of the church’s presence is a broken and weathered segment of the cornerstone inscribed with the church’s and King’s names and the church’s founding date, 1926.

Map:  Location on Bing Maps